QUÉ EMOCIÓN!!! PARTICIPAMOS EN UN CONCURSO!!!

XIV PREMIOS ESPIRAL - ACEPTAN NUESTRA CANDIDATURA DE PARTICIPACIÓN PARA LA EDICIÓN 2020

Hemos sido aceptados para participar en la modalidad de ABP en los XIV Premios Espiral. Os imagináis poder lograr tan prestigioso galardón?...

Monday 8 April 2019

The Militia 4

LORD BYRON SCANDALIZES LORDS


Last 27th February, in The House of Lords (London), must examine a proposed law, alredy adopted by The House of Commons, which establishes the death penalty for breaking machines (luddites attacks), but a young poet, will be the only opponent.


Resultado de imagen de LORD BYRON 
This young man is Lord Byron and he is a great poet and writer. He was born 22th January 1788 (London). 

He had a strong advocate of social reform, he received particular praise as one of the few Parliamentary defenders of the Luddites: specifically, he was against a death penalty for Luddites.
                 
                  What was Byron's role in parliament?

As a member of the House of Lords, Byron attended 15 sessions, and spoke three times, always from a Whig position. In this speech, against a bill calling for the death penalty for frame-breakers, he is often ironic, but passionate in his defence of the protesting workers. 



      WHO ARE THE LUDDITIES?

Its origins date back to  the 19th century labor movement that railed against the economic fallout of the Industrial Revolution.

The original Luddites were British weavers and textile workers who object to the increased use of automated looms and knitting frames. Most were trained artisans who had spent years learning their craft, and they feared that unskilled machine operators were robbing them of their livelihood.





THE SPEECH

From 1811 the introduction of power-driven mechanical frames for the manufacture of stockings sparked off a series of protests around Nottingham, after groups of skilled labourers had lost work as a result of the new technology. Using the name ‘Luddites’, from an imaginary leader, Ned Ludd, they broke into workshops at night and smashed up the frames. The police and military were brought in to find and arrest Luddites, for the most part unsuccessfully, as shown here in Lord Byron's speech.



13 comments:

  1. Hi guys!For me your article was a bit boring, and it is not very well written because the verbal tenses used do not make sense in some occasions. The links are right and they are useful and the video talks about everything about Luddites. This time your news could be much better, improve it next time.

    Ainhoa Menéndez.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your news is oerfect on its way because it explain each aspect of the situation and gives the context in wich the event ocurred. It has interesting topics like where did the name luddites came from and who was Lord Byron. I love the idea of giving a link if you want to know more about the spech but not boring us giving a summary or similar. In general, I liked the content.

    Sergio Huerga Galiana

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this new,it has intersting contents and it doesn't makes you feel bored.The part of Lord Byron is really interesting,I think I would add something more about his life,just as curiosity.

    Isabel González González

    ReplyDelete
  4. This news seems to me to be quite complete. I would add a little more information about the life of Lord Byron because I have been interested and I have read a bit about him and his life was very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found this news a bit confusing because for my point of view the information is not very well organized. There are lots of links and they are very useful and also help to complete the information, in addition, they are in English as well as the video, which explains very well the whole luddite movement. I think you can improve the way of write and organize the information but it is not bad.

    Laura Pérez

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi guys, I really liked the organization of the news, has titles to introduce what you are going to talk about, a lot of links that help to understand everything better, are well, the video is also very good but I did not like the organization nor the type of format of the paper version. I liked to know what the Luddites are now because I did not know and I find the role of Lord Byron in parliament a little strange. Good work and very good news, congratulations!

    Rubén Berciano Monroy

    ReplyDelete
  7. This news has seemed boring and the information a little disordered, I would have liked that had been a bit more Lord Byron on the other hand the video I liked so much because it explains everything very well and the scope of many links to consult information.
    Nerea Rubio

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like your work!! You always offer originals points of view about History. You have some misspellings but, your mark is 9,5.

    ReplyDelete
  9. For me, this article has been a bit boring, confusing and with several misspellings. I don't like too much the way in which you have organized the article, but this is something subjective. Despite this, the content is right and the links are well chosen. The video explained correctly what it aimed to explain, but as it was a bit long, it finally bored me. Maybe shorter videos would be a better option...

    Leticia Fernández

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think the article is quite complete but I would add more information about the biography of Lord Byron, because he is the protagonist of the news. On the other hand, the video explains very well the Ludditie movement, and the links help to understand the content better. The paper version is correct and well distributed.
    Marta Fernández

    ReplyDelete
  11. I liked the news, the contents are right and the links too. You have introduced every paragraph with its title and it helps to understand everything. The video is well chosen, and I like the paper version. Good work!

    Nerea Ramírez

    ReplyDelete
  12. I found this article a little bit boring because the information is confusing. However, the links are good explained and in English and the photos represent the contents of the notice quite well.

    Cristina Miguélez.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I found this news a bit confusing, but well written. I like its organization and that you put titles in order to separate the information. I also like the images and the links and the video are quite helpful, but i think you could add more information and talk more about Lord Byron or about the speech and I think that the paper version could be better.

    Joana do Vale

    ReplyDelete

MOST POPULAR POSTS